Cairo (Egypt), 13 May 2019 – Eni Foundation has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the Ministry of Health and Population of Egypt to support the Egyptian government in implementing its policy of expansion and strengthening of burn assistance services in Cairo, in particular for the pediatric patients.
The four main components of the project are:
- The establishment of a dedicated pediatric intensive care unit (PICU);
- The development of the expertise of the health personnel and the technical assistance for starting the service;
- Support for the development of the reference system and management of the pediatric emergency services network;
- Raising awareness at the community level on the prevention of burns at household level;
In particular, the Ministry of Health and Population has selected the public hospital Al Haram of Giza as the beneficiary institution of the project and the following lines of activity have been agreed:
- The first floor of the hospital new wing will be redesigned and renovated according to high quality national and international standards in terms of infrastructure and systems;
- The necessary medical equipment, tools and furniture will be supplied and installed for all the jointly selected services ;
Eni Foundation will use the experience of Italian Institutions of excellence in the treatment of burns for training of Egyptian medical and paramedical personnel both in Cairo and abroad and, to provide second opinion assistance with the use of telemedicine.
The project considers also the support to:
- The development of the national pediatric reference service network for the treatment of burns through the preparation of guidelines and training activities;
- The implementation of campaigns for prevention of accidents through information, education and communication for the population;
Eni Foundation will guarantee the supply of necessary goods and services jointly identified such as: relevant civil works, medical equipment, hospital furniture and needed technical assistance in accordance with its internal rules.
Eni Foundation, in agreement with the ministry, will also ensure general coordination with all the entities involved in the implementation of the project. The project provides for a total cost of 4,500,000 euros.