As a part of the Eni’s portfolio optimization strategy, aimed at growth in the areas related to the energy transition, was signed a sale agreement with Snam for the sale of 49.9% of Eni’s stake (directly or indirectly) in the companies that manage the onshore gas pipelines running from the Algerian and Tunisian borders to Tunisia’s coast (TTPC) and the offshore gas pipelines connecting the Tunisian coast to Italy (TMPC). The transaction includes the transfer of these investments to a JV of which a 49.9% share will be sold to Snam for approximately €385 million (Eni will continue to hold the remaining 50.1% stake). This operation allows to create synergies among the parties’ expertise in gas transport on a strategic route for the security of the natural gas supply in Italy, enabling potential development initiatives within the hydrogen value chain from North Africa.
Our work in Tunisia
We have been in the country since 1961, delivering our first load of Tunisian crude oil to Genoa in 1966. Today our work is in the E&P, Global Gas & LNG Portfolio and Refining & Marketing and Chemicals and renewable sectors.
Exploration & Production
Annual oil and condensate production
Annual gas production
Annual hydrocarbons production
Investment in concessions
We have shares in nine mining licences, governed by concession contracts, and an exploration permit, Borj El Khadra. Work is concentrated in the desert areas of the country's south, and in the Mediterranean offshore of Hammamet. Production of hydrocarbons in the country is mainly at the offshore blocks Maamoura and Baraka (for both of which we are an operator with 49%), the onshore blocks Adam (25%), Oued Zar (50%), Djebel Grouz (50%), MLD (50%) and El Borma (50%), and the exploration permit Borj El Khadra (50%). Development activities in 2021 concerned the drilling and start-up of an additional production well in the MLD concession.
The trans-tunisian pipeline
Between 1977 and 1983, in the Global Gas & LNG Portfolio sector, we carried out one of our most challenging projects to date, the Trans-Mediterranean Pipeline, a gas pipeline 740 km long from Algeria to the Strait of Sicily, crossing Tunisia on the way, where onshore it is managed by Trans Tunisian Pipeline Company (TTPC). The trans-Tunisian gas pipeline, made up of two lines 48 inches wide and about 370 km, with two compression stations, has a transport capacity of about 34 billion m3 a year. In July 2019 we signed a new agreement for transporting natural gas from Algeria through Tunisia, and we are committed to doing so for the next 10 years through TTPC.
Bitumen, lubricants and vegetable growing
We are in the Tunisian market for bitumen and lubricants. Since 1998 we have had a 34% share in Bitumed, a company that imports and markets bitumen. In Tunisia we supply lubricants through a 30-year partnership with the state company Société Nationale de Distribution des Pétroles (SNDP). We have also launched, in semi-desert areas not currently cultivated, a pilot project of experimenting with new sustainable growing of vegetables, for use as feedstock for bio-refining and producing biofuel.
Renewable energy in the Country
fotovoltaic tech. renewable installed capacity
Renewables installed capacity by area
Southern Tunisia is an ideal location for solar energy generation and has an average solar radiation potential of 1800-2600 m2 per year. The country has a target of generating 30% of its electricity from renewable energy sources by 2030 and solar energy plays an important role in this plan.
We create energy
In Tunisia we are building two photovoltaic plants with 5 and 10 MW, which as of late 2019 will let us reduce emissions of more than 266,000 tonnes of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.
Energy in Adam
On December 2019 we opened our photovoltaic plant in Adam, in the governorate of Tataouine. The energy produced will be used directly at the industrial site, thus reducing gas consumption and preventing more than 6,500 tonnes of carbon dioxide being released into the atmosphere every year.Discover Adam
Tataouine photovoltaic project
On December 2022 we started a photovoltaic plant in the town of Tataouine. The plant, which will be equipped with a solar tracking system to optimise the energy produced, will transmit over 20 GWh of electricity per year into the national grid, resulting in a combined savings of around 211,000 tonnes of CO2eq over the course of its anticipated 20-year lifespan.Discover Tataouine
Keep up to date with the latest news about our work in the country and our projects in the region.
The latest news about Eni in Italy and the wider world.