The registered office of Enipower SpA and its subsidiaries is at Eni Headquarters in San Donato Milanese. All Enipower's thermoelectric plants are in Italy, at six production sites: Brindisi, Ferrara, Ferrera Erbognone, Mantua, Ravenna and Bolgiano. Management of the plants in Ferrara and Mantua is entrusted to subsidiary companies Sef srl and Enipower Mantova SpA, respectively.
The plant is in Bolgiano, in the municipality of San Donato Milanese, and was built in the early 1980s to meet the need for electricity and thermal energy in the Eni offices and residential areas. The Bolgiano plant powers the district heating network of San Donato Milanese, which currently extends over about 35km. In winter, heating is supplied to consumers for a total of about 5 million m3. In summer, heat is also used for air-conditioning for a total of about 1 million m3, thanks to absorption-refrigeration arrays. The electricity distribution network comprises a system of cable ducts and cabins that, starting from the Bolgiano plant, distribute the electricity to meet the demand of the Eni Group.
Overlooking the Adriatic Sea, the plant is on the outskirts of Brindisi in its petrochemical hub. The plant comprises four production units - three combined-cycle plants (CTE3) and one plant consisting of four turbo generators directly powered by steam recovered from the adjacent Versalis cracking plant (CTE Nord). The electricity generated is fed into the Internal User Network (IUN) – which provides power to the companies at the plant – connected to the national transmission grid. The technological steam and demineralised water produced are supplied to the plants of the companies at the same site. The new reverse osmosis plant for producing demineralised water minimises the consumption of water resources and energy.
The Ferrera Erbognone plant is in the agricultural zone of Lomellina, in the province of Pavia, next to the Eni refinery in Sannazzaro de’ Burgondi. Opened in May 2004, it was the first plant built in Italy following the liberalisation of the electricity market. The plant comprises three combined-cycle production units, two powered by natural gas and the third normally by syngas combined with natural gas. The syngas is produced at the refinery gasification plant using heavy hydrocarbons from crude oil distillation, using technology that separates out any pollutants present, especially sulphur, ash or metals.
The Enipower Mantova SpA plant, of which 86.5% is owned by Enipower SpA and the remaining 13.5% by the multi-utility company T.E.A. SpA, is in the chemical hub about 5km outside Mantua. The natural-gas powered plant comprises two combined-cycle production units and one conventional unit (B6), normally used as a reserve for steam production. The electricity generated is fed into the Internal User Network (IUN) – which provides power to the companies on site – connected to the national transmission grid via a 380 kV long-distance power line and a 220 kV line. Part of the steam produced by the heat recovery steam generators is used by the plants on the petrochemical site and by the town's district heating.
The plant is at Ravenna's petrochemical site, an approximately 270-hectare industrial zone about 4.5 kilometres from the town centre. There are many wetlands and pine woods in the surrounding region, especially along the coast and immediately inland. The plant has two production zones, powered by natural gas.
Enipower Ferrara Srl (Sef) is owned by Enipower SpA (51%), with energy company Axpo International S.A. as minority shareholder. The plant is in Ferrara's petrochemical hub, which is linked to the industrial zones of Ravenna and Mantua for the exchange of raw materials and intermediate products. It comprises two combined-cycle production units powered by natural gas, and one boiler in cold reserve. The electricity generated is fed into the Internal User Network (IUN) – which provides power to the companies on site – connected to the national transmission grid via a 380 kV long-distance power line and a 130 kV line. The facility is equipped with a clarification plant and a demineralisation plant for treating water drawn from the River Po.
The decision to adopt district heating technology powered by large natural gas cogeneration plants has resulted in numerous less efficient household boilers being switched off, ensuring benefits for the environment in terms of air quality and reduced CO2 emissions. District heating is supplied by two plants:
● the cogeneration plant in Bolgiano: this feeds the network in San Donato Milanese, serving about 25,000 residents;
● the combined-cycle plant in Mantua: this feeds the network managed by TEA, supplying the equivalent of about 50,000 residents.