Situated on the Ionian coast, the refinery has been operational since 1967, undergoing modernisation over the years to optimise its systems. At the authorised processing capacity of 6.5 million tonnes of crude oil per year, over 75% of which comes from Val D’Agri, around 5 million tonnes of products are put onto the market. The direct connection between the refinery and our fields in the Basilicata region is via a 137 km pipeline owned by SOM SpA (70% Eni and 30% Shell), which crosses 18 different municipalities:
- 7 in the province of Potenza
- 6 in the province of Matera
- 5 in the province of Taranto.
The transportation system allows for the receipt, storage, processing and shipment of Italian crude oil. The refinery's strengths include:
- logistical flexibility ensured by its large holding capacity
- wide range of products obtained through a diversified processing cycle and high conversion factor.
The refinery is divided into different areas:
- storage areas for crude oil, oil undergoing processing, and finished products
- the production plants
- ground product loading
- wharf area for products arriving and leaving by sea.
The incoming crude oil undergoes fractional distillation and desulphuring to convert it into:
- diesel/fuel oil
- jet fuel
- heating oils
- bituminous products
The finished products are shipped by sea from the wharf area, or else by land, using the loading area.