Our commitment to the development and maintenance of gas assets has resulted in a major investment plan for the Central Northern District (DICS) of Ravenna. The plan has seen over 1.1 billion euros invested over the last three years. In the next few years an offshore decommissioning plan will also begin. This involves taking down an initial batch of nine offshore facilities. The plan should begin in 2023 or 2024. Upstream activities are in step with the local community, having reached common ground over environmental, economic and social sustainability. Emilia Romagna is a good example of the coexistence of tourism, agriculture and Oil & Gas activities. With a long history of E&P in the area, Italy’s ‘Food Valley’ has developed exceptionally high food and agriculture standards alongside its hydrocarbon fields. The coastal strip between Ravenna and Riccione, home to Eni's gas platforms, also boasts numerous Blue Flag beaches.
In the circular economy initiatives, a program in collaboration with national research institutions was launched to redevelop asset in the decomissioning phase. In particular, activities started up to convert an offshore platform into a marine science park.
In the gas assets of the Adriatic Sea, development activities concerned:
- maintenance and production optimization at offshore gas fields Annalisa (Eni’s interest 100%) and Calipso (Eni’s interest 51%)
- Decommissioning plan to plug-in depleted wells and to remove idle platforms progressed in the year.
In compliance with Italian Ministerial Decree 15 February 2019 “Linee guida nazionali per la dismissione mineraria delle piattaforme per la coltivazione in mare e delle infrastrutture connesse”, a total of six offshore platforms to be removed are currently under the ministerial authorization process. In the circular economy initiatives, a program in collaboration with national research institutions was launched to redevelop asset in the decommissioning phase. Activities started up to convert an offshore platform into a marine science park. In 2021 the IX Collaboration Agreement was signed with the Municipality of Ravenna. The agreement includes:
- environmental projects by means of studies, monitoring program and environmental protection activities at the coastline areas
- energy efficiency measures
- professional training initiatives, programs to support local market and activities
- social projects and environmental education and sustainable development projects in collaboration with several local stakeholders.