cover-ravenna-chimica.jpg

Chemicals and the development of the elastomer sector in Ravenna

We produce the raw material to be transformed into tyres, technical products and paper.

Innovation and respect for the area

At our industrial site in Ravenna we produce elastomers, the raw material for applications such as tyres, technical items and paper. We are implementing a portfolio of renewal activities at the plants with new degrees of greater added value and improved environmental sustainability. In particular, we are completely renewing the product range for high performance and energy saving tyres, guaranteeing improved performance in the transformation and end use stages. Furthermore, we are optimising new grades of thermoplastic rubbers, with innovative technology, for high value-added applications in the fields of lubricating oil modification. Finally, Ravenna is integrated with the other production sites in the Paduan area and is home to a Research Center specialising in the development of elastomers and engaged in various innovative projects, including new functional elastomers.

In March 2021 through Versalis, Eni's chemical company in the production and marketing of elastomers, have signed a joint development agreement for the researchproduction and supply of synthetic rubber with advanced properties with Bridgestone EMIA, a leader in advanced mobility solutions. The Research and Development divisions of the two organizations will collaborate, using an Open Innovation model, to develop technologies and new elastomer grades, including Styrene Butadiene Rubber (SBR), for the production of high-performance tyres. Versalis will leverage the expertise of its Research Center at Ravenna and Ferrara, while Bridgestone will use its Technical Center Europe near Rome.

Oxygenates

In the Refining & Marketing and Chemistry sector, specifically the availability of oxygenates, about 75% of these in 2020 are produced in Eni’s plants in Saudi Arabia (in joint venture with SABIC), Italy (Ravenna) and Venezuela (in joint venture with Pequiven) and the remaining 25% is purchased.

2020 Eni local sustainability Report for Ravenna

Each year, we publish a comprehensive report on the activities of Eni companies at the Ravenna multi-company site. A major focus of the report is a closer look at the companies’ contribution towards the target of carbon neutrality by 2050. In detailing the progress that Eni companies operating in the Ravenna area are making in tackling the challenges around decarbonization and the energy transition, it reveals how these challenges have become even starker in the light of the pandemic. The document also places safety and respect for the environment in the spotlight.

The synergy that results from integrating expertise across Eni Group’s various companies is a key driver in creating value for all its local stakeholders – within a framework of partnerships with local authorities, companies, the community and local citizens.

The document forms part of Eni’s sustainability reporting, which also includes the 2020 Consolidated Disclosure of Non-Financial Information (NFI), drafted in accordance with Legislative Decree 254/2016, and Eni’s 2020 Sustainability Report. These can be consulted for further information.

Local Report Ravenna 2020 (Italian version)

PDF 2.33 MB 27 September 2021
PDF 2.33 MB