Eni is aware that a responsible approach to biomass that goes beyond merely complying with regulations is required. Therefore, to ensure it is managed sustainably throughout the supply chain, which includes the conversion of several assets into biorefineries, the company has devised several general principles and selection criteria to implement, along with several specific rules for palm oil. In addition, whenever necessary, Eni will assess the need to draft specific policies for other biomass fuels it uses. Eni is committed to adopting criteria that meet sustainability standards. When selecting suppliers and drafting biomass supply contracts, Eni strives to ensure that the raw materials:
- Do not originate from plantations obtained by converting areas with high carbon stock levels, such as marshlands and forests;
- Do not originate from ecosystems with a high level of biodiversity, such as areas covered with primary or secondary forest or ecosystems of recognised value to wildlife;
- Are certified following sustainability standards recognised at a European or global level, where specific certification schemes apply.
In addition, Eni promotes the use of raw materials that:
- Do not lead to a change in land use that causes the degradation of the soil, and, where possible, help to fight soil degradation through good farming practices;
- Do not compete with food production for water resources;
- Originate from land that is used in compliance with the internationally recognised rights of local and indigenous populations, based on consultation open to all with prior knowledge of the full facts;
- Are produced sustainably, with respect for the environment and social conditions, including workers’ rights and health and safety protection.
Regarding the use of biomass at its plants, Eni guarantees:
- To comply with the principles of traceability and transparency;
- To always promote optimal use of the raw material by minimising consumption and waste and maximising efficiency;
- To create products whereby use complies with applicable sustainability standards;
- To adopt the best technologies available.