OPEN DATE-CLOSING DATE: 25/08/2021-08/09/2021
Other European countries-United Kingdom-LONDRA-GB-LONDON BUCKINGHAM PLC RD
PROFESSIONAL FAMILY: LEGAL AFFAIRS
Home National | Expert | Residential
At Eni, we are looking for a Legal Counsel within the Eni Trade & Biofuels London branch. You will embrace a wide range of legal matters, particularly in the areas of the shipment and physical trading of crude oil, petroleum products and biofuels. The successful candidate will provide high quality legal advice to the trading & shipping businesses in London as well as ETB’s other global locations.
We can offer:
- a highly collaborative and positive working culture;
- an internationally focused and varied case-load which encompasses a broad spectrum of the industry, including shipping, physical commodity trading, oil/products storage, dispute resolution, commodity transactions and regulatory workstreams;
- a high level of autonomy to lead projects and report directly to senior management; and
- receive significant professional support from, and an opportunity to interact with, a diverse range of internal functions.
About Eni Trade & Biofuels
In keeping with Eni’s overall strategy, in particular regarding the global energy transition, since 1 January 2021 Eni Trade & Biofuels S.p.A. (ETB), wholly owned by Eni S.p.A., is the newly created entity responsible for the international trading of crude oil, petroleum products, bio-fuels and related financial derivatives for the Eni group.
In particular, ETB is responsible for marketing Eni’s oil equity productions, sourcing hydrocarbon and bio feedstock, and marketing the resulting products from its traditional and green refineries and its petrochemical arm Versalis. ETB is also responsible for sourcing and management of maritime transportation and logistics services, and providing oil risk management services, for itself and on behalf of the whole Eni group, by trading commodity derivatives on the main regulated and over the counter markets. ETB’s integration with the wider Eni businesses ensures a global and integrated approach, reinforced by Eni's relationships and broad portfolio of global assets.
As a member of the Legal team, your responsibilities will include (with support from other team members and internal functions as required):
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating a wide range of voyage and time charterparty agreements, contracts of affreightment, coloading agreements, and other commercial shipping contracts;
- Advising on, and responding to, time critical shipping and trading operational incidents and pre-litigation disputes, including the handling of force majeure events;
Managing off-hire and demurrage claims, negotiating letters of indemnity, and advising on cargo quality and quantity claims, as well as disputes under charterparties and bills of lading and, more generally, shipping operations;
- Reviewing, drafting and negotiating a broad range of energy commodity trading agreements, including spot and term sale and purchase agreements for the supply of crude oil, biofuels and products, as well as advising on storage agreements;
- Assisting the business in connection with documentation ancillary to commodity transactions, such as general terms and conditions, tenders, agency/brokerage agreements, terms sheets, memoranda of understanding and inter-company service agreements;
- Assessing merits of, and handling, formal legal claims and disputes (including in relation to demurrage, off-hire, cargo quality, contamination and quantity) and, where applicable, liaising with external legal counsel in relation to such claims;
- Supporting the credit and KYC teams in connection with the drafting and negotiation of parent company guarantees, letters of credit, NDAs, and letters of credit and other credit support instruments;
- Advising on, drafting and negotiating sanctions clauses in both charterparties and sale and purchase agreements, as well as having a sound understanding of the workings of the main international trade sanctions regimes;
- Providing English legal advice on various commercial issues ranging from general legal support in the areas of corporate governance, derivative trading, UK commercial regulation, insolvency and insurance.
This is the opportunity for you if you have these skills and requirements:
Strong academic qualifications including B.A.(Hons.) degree.
Qualified solicitor in England and Wales with relevant post qualification experience.
Experience with particular emphasis on dry shipping law or physical commodity trading obtained either in a law firm or an in-house legal team with an established reputation in trading and shipping.
Astute, commercially aware and highly motivated.
Effective communicator with excellent negotiation skills.
Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Full command of the English language, knowledge of Italian is beneficial.
At Eni, people are the key to our success, which is why our values are focused on diversity, and lifelong learning.
Eni evaluates applications regardless of candidates’ personal and cultural characteristics or orientations. If your application is among those most in line with the required profile, you will be contacted to continue the selection process.